Thanks to technology, our kids are growing up in an environment that is much different than what we experienced when we were young. Our kids are forced to adapt to a cell phone based world that is complex, fast moving, and constantly changing.
They are surrounded by peers who interact and communicate in ways that we’ll never fully understand. As mobile technology advances and Internet integration increases – the future possibilities with cell phones is mind boggling.
Think about cell phones 10 years ago:
1. They were much less popular and much more expensive
2. They lacked today’s fancy features and advanced capabilities
3. Very few kids, if any, had their own photos, video, texting, and audio capabilities were unheard of
The popularity of cell phones has exploded over the past few years:
1. Approximately 3 billion cell phones are currently in use and numbers are rising exponentially
2. Approximately 80% of US teens have their own phone
3. 8-12 year olds are the fastest growing segment, 50% of which already have their own phones.
Parents Have Good Intentions:
We all want what’s best for our kids. We want them to develop good habits while they are young. We want them to be happy, healthy, and well mannered. Like most parents, my wife and I bought cell phones for our kids because we wanted them to be safe.
We wanted a little extra security whenever they were away from our protective care. We loved the idea of having 911 available in case of emergency. Heck, for only $10.00 a month and a free phone, how could we go wrong?
Like most parents, we were unprepared. We didn’t fully realize the problems or dangers that were waiting ahead; dangers that secretly lurked beneath the surface, like a shark waiting to attack. Visit for more info on Cell Phone Secrets.